Manicures are meant to be a relaxing, self-indulging time for yourself, not a limb-threatening experience. However, for Maria Luisa Gerardo of Arizona, her routine manicure turned into a major infection, and not at all the hour of leisure she expected.
While getting her nails done at a local nail salon, Gerardo claims she suffered a small cut on her finger, Allurereports. The next day, Gerardo says her finger began swelling up due to a visible infection in the cut, prompting her to go to an urgent-care facility for antibiotics.
After going back to the salon—named TJ Nails—to tell the employees about the incident, she was offered $100 to make up for the injury. “It’s nothing. Just clean your hand and buy your medicine, and it will come off,” Gerardo tells KGUN, a local news station, referring to what the salon employees told her,
Unfortunately, Gerardo’s condition deteriorated, forcing her to go to the hospital. Once she was examined, doctors were fearful they’d have to amputate the digit. “[The doctor] cleaned as much as he could, to try and salvage the finger,” said Victor, Gerardo’s son. “He told me, he kept cutting and cutting the tissue around her finger until it bled, because that was good skin.”
Luckily, surgeons were able to save Gerardo’s finger; however, the incident has seemingly tainted her view of manicures forever. “This is the only thing I ever liked doing to myself, my nails,” said Gerardo. “But now, with this that happened to my hand, I never want to do this in my life.”
Now, before you write off manicures from your routine for good, remember that this is a rare occurrence and unlikely to happen to you. However, it is important to be on the lookout for signs that your technician isn’t following hygienic protocol, meaning all instruments should be sterile before used on your nails. And if you do notice your technician could be using previously used tools, stop the manicure right away. As the saying goes, it’s better to be safe than sorry.