June 17, 2018

Florida Woman Gets Pedicure, Ends Up In Hospital

Florida Woman Gets Pedicure, Ends Up In Hospital | Tulsa’s 24-Hour News, Weather and Traffic

Sign in with your existing account

{* loginWidget *}

Sign in with your email

{* #userInformationForm *}

{* traditionalSignIn_emailAddress *}

{* traditionalSignIn_password *}

{* /userInformationForm *}

Welcome back. Please sign in

{* #userInformationForm *}

{* traditionalSignIn_emailAddress *}

{* traditionalSignIn_password *}

{* /userInformationForm *}

Create a New Account

Select a display name and password

{* #registrationForm *}

{* traditionalRegistration_displayName *}

{* traditionalRegistration_emailAddress *}

{* traditionalRegistration_password *}

{* traditionalRegistration_passwordConfirm *}

Tell us about yourself

{* registration_firstName *}

{* registration_lastName *}

{* registration_postalZip *}

{* registration_birthday *}

{* registration_gender *}

{* agreeToTerms *} {* /registrationForm *}

Create a New Account

{* #registrationFormBlank *}

{* registration_firstName *}

{* registration_lastName *}

{* traditionalRegistration_emailAddressBlank *}

{* registration_birthday *}

{* registration_gender *}

{* registration_postalZip *}

{* traditionalRegistration_passwordBlank *}

{* traditionalRegistration_passwordConfirmBlank *}

Thank you for registering!

We have sent you a confirmation email. Please check your email and click on the link to activate your account.

Thank you for registering!

We look forward to seeing you frequently. Visit us and sign in to update your profile, receive the latest news and keep up to date with mobile alerts.

Create a new password

Don’t worry, it happens. We’ll send you a link to create a new password.

{* #forgotPasswordForm *}

{* forgotPassword_emailAddress *}

{* /forgotPasswordForm *}

We have sent you an email with a link to change your password.

Sign in to complete account merge

{* #tradAuthenticateMergeForm *}

{* traditionalSignIn_emailAddress *}

{* /tradAuthenticateMergeForm *}

Resend Email Verification

To sign in you must verify your email address. Fill out the form below and we’ll send you an email to verify.

{* #resendVerificationForm *}

{* traditionalSignIn_emailAddress *}

{* newPasswordFormButton *}

{* /resendVerificationForm *}

Your Verification Email Has Been Sent

Check your email for a link to verify your email address.

Posted: November 02 2017 7:52 PM

VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. Sign in or Register.

• A Minnesota woman was injured last week when her washing machine “exploded,” reported. >> Read more trending news Sara Van Beck was hurt after investigating a “high, howl, whistling noise” coming from her Whirlpool Duet washing machine. The machine was on spin cycle when she said it exploded. “From the force I fell backwards and hit my head,” Van Beck told KARE. “I got as far as the utility sink and it exploded, sending ball bearings and pieces at me,” Van Beck said in a Facebook post. “My feet went out from under me and I dropped on our bench and cabinets hitting my head pretty hard.” Van Beck said she suffered a concussion. When she regained consciousness, the high school teacher called her husband for help, using her Apple watch. She said there were “ball bearings all over the room” and they hit her like “shrapnel,” KARE reported. The force also caved in the side of the dryer, breaking it. Van Beck said she bought the machine three years ago, and this model is not under any sort of recall. She said she is grateful that none of her five children were near the front-loading door of the washer. ‘It would have been deadly,” she told KARE. “And that’s what scares my husband and I the most.” Attempts to contact Whirlpool for a comment were unsuccessful, KARE reported. However, Van Beck said she got through to a customer service representative, who said Whirlpool agreed to buy her a new washer and dryer, KARE reported.

• Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum gave his first “State of the City” speech Thursday, and Friday he’ll join the KRMG Morning News with Dan Potter for an in-depth hour exploring the themes he touched on in that speech. And he spoke on a wide variety of topics, including public safety, infrastructure, business, education, and more during Thursday’s speech. He talked about the marked improvements the city will see in the next five years, due to the Vision Tulsa initiative and the decision to speed up the process of funding many of its projects. “We’ve expedited the construction timeline of the largest economic development capital improvements program in the history of the city,” he told the crowd of about 1,000 at the Cox Business Center, “so that 80 percent of the projects will be funded in the first five years.” He also announced the formation of a new task force to speed up the city’s road projects, which will be chaired by former Oklahoma State Secretary of Transportation Gary Ridley. That task force was one of six initiatives he outlined. The others include: Increasing the number of police officers by funding more police academies next year Asking community leaders to push lawmakers to make it legal for municipalities to use property taxes to help fund public school operations Better aligning the city and county park systems Letting developers self-certify construction plans Teaming up with Gallup to create a “CitiVoice Index,” to better gauge how Tulsans feel they’re doing in various parts of town The in-depth hour with Mayor Bynum begins at 8:00 a.m. Friday on NEWS102.3/AM740 KRMG. Listeners can also hear it online, or on the KRMG app.

• A popular high school baseball and football coach said he was forced to resign after admitting he accidentally sent an. WSBTV’s Mike Petchenik obtained documents from Fulton County Schools that show Cambridge High School’s Miles Martin admitted to sending the text to a student, but that he meant to send it to a friend with the same first name. WSBTV did not reprint the contents of the text because they are not appropriate for audiences. Fulton County School spokeswoman, Donna Lowry, said Martin resigned, but that the district would have no comment on the personnel issue. A fellow teacher reported hearing about the content of the text and a human resources investigation was initiated for allegations of unprofessional conduct.“Fulton County expects professional behavior from their employees at all times,” an investigator wrote in the document Petchenik obtained. “Mr. Martin displayed poor judgment in sending the text message.” The investigator upheld the allegations against Martin claiming “he failed to report the incident to school administration and follow the FCS Employee Handbook on private social media. Mr. Martin exhibited unprofessional behavior.’ Martin sent Petchenik an e-mailed statement about what happened: A long-time friend and booster of the Cambridge program told Petchenik he believes Martin got a raw deal. “Coach Martin is a good role model. He’s a young guy,” said John Schafer. “The kids relate to him.” While Schafer said he doesn’t condone the content of what Martin wrote in the text, he said Martin shouldn’t be punished for it. “It was certainly not designed nor intended to reach a student,” he said. “He is moving on. He’s being as strong as he possibly can. He’s devastated.” Petchenik obtained a letter from the family of the teen who received the text. They sent the letter to Fulton County Superintendent Jeff Rose. ‘We can all agree that Coach Martin never intended to send this to our son,” the letter reads. ‘My wife and I do not feel this text shows the type of person Coach Martin is and that his mistake should not affect his ability to coach and teach our boys.”

• The 429 page tax reform bill unveiled by House Republicans on Thursday would make a series major changes to the tax code, reducing the number of tax brackets from seven to four, eliminating and limiting a number of major deductions, and cutting the corporate tax rate from 35 to 20 percent. But past those headlines were a number of smaller provisions, which may be small in financial impact, but could still be felt by individuals around the nation. Here’s some of the more interesting items tucked away in the GOP tax reform bill: 1. Even some small tax deductions get knocked out. Most of the headlines are about limits on deductions for mortgage interest, property taxes, and ending the write off for state and local taxes. Those are big provisions, with a big impact. But other tax breaks are also getting tossed out by House Republicans, like a deduction for larger medical expenses, and unreimbursed business expenses. Teachers are a good example of taxpayers who might benefit from that business expenses deduction, but under this plan, that would go away. The argument is this – now that the overall standard deduction would be increased, then these deductions aren’t needed, as the GOP tries to simplify the tax code, and make it possible to file your taxes on a postcard. 2. New rules on capital gains from a home sale. Under current law, you can make up to $250,000 tax free on the sale of a home ($500,000 for a married couple) if you have lived in the home for two of the last five years. This proposed tax change would keep those profit figures tax free, but the length of time that owners would have to live in the house would be expanded from two to five years (out of the previous eight years). One stated reason for the change is to tamp down on home sale speculation: “Meanwhile, speculators and so-called “flippers” in the housing market would not be rewarded for their activity with tax-exempt income,” an explanation states. So, the tax break would remain the same value, but the time involved would change. One can imagine a provision like this might spur a rush to sell a house before the end of the year, especially if you haven’t lived in it for five years yet. 3. Tax break related to college football/basketball tickets. One of the many rules in the current tax code allows people to deduct 80 percent of a charitable contribution to a college or university, when that contribution is used stake a claim for tickets at a college football or basketball game. How did this come about? Congress added the break in 1988 – two years after the last major tax reform law – as lawmakers have added in all sorts of write offs and breaks along the way, like this tax break related to a collegiate personal seat license. This change would be made along with a number of other reforms in the area of charitable contributions. The effort is not new; the Obama Administration made the same proposal, but it was never acted upon by Congress. 4. No tax breaks related to pro sports stadiums. Speaking of sports, the GOP tax plan would do away with one tax break that could benefit major sports leagues. In this case, state and local governments could no longer sell bonds to help finance construction of a stadium in which those bonds were allowed to provide investors with interest that was not taxable by Uncle Sam. It’s not a huge provision in terms of money – it would save the feds an estimated $200 million over ten years. 5. Start saving for college before you kid is born. Yes, tucked into the bill is a provision that would allow parents to start a 529 college savings account even before your son or daughter has arrived. Just in case there was any issue about the intent of those who wrote this provision, it was spelled out in the committee explanation like this: “An unborn child means a child in utero. A child in utero means a member of the species homo sapiens, at any stage of development, who is carried in the womb.” 6. Some handy facts and figures about the GOP tax reform bill. It’s sort of hard to get your head around a big bill like this, so here are some bullet points about the financial figures: + Ending a series of personal deductions brings in the most money for Uncle Sam, just over $1.5 trillion over 10 years. + Going from seven to four tax brackets with different rates means almost $1.1 trillion less in revenue coming in to the feds. + Changing the standard deduction gives taxpayers $913 billion. + Repealing the Alternative Minimum tax for individuals saves taxpayers almost $700 billion over 10 years. + Overall, according to the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, the GOP tax plan costs $1.51 trillion over ten years. There are $5.7 trillion in tax cuts, and $4.2 trillion in tax increases, leaving a plan that would increase the deficit by $1.5 trillion. You can find out more of the financial information about the GOP tax bill, with this background from the Joint Committee on Taxation.  

• So dogs really ARE man’s best friend. The Times of London says British researchers did two studies. In one, they put up two fake fundraising campaigns, one for a sick dog and one for a sick human. And the dog got more money. In the other, they showed students fake newspaper stories about a baseball bat attack on a dog, a puppy, a baby human, and an 30-year human, and asked the students to rank their sympathy. The adult finished last. Only the baby could compete with the canines for caring. You can read more about the story here.

Source

http://www.krmg.com/news/trending/florida-woman-gets-pedicure-ends-hospital/WDSc8JR4JqA8YdfbbycinL/

admin